STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
Welcome to the STEM Cluster of programs at Santa Rosa Junior College!
January 9, 2021
Subject: Additional STEM Lab Sections to open for Registration for Spring 2021
Wishing you a Happy New Year and that 2021 brings with it much joy and happiness. As the start of the Spring semester approaches, I recognize the coronavirus pandemic continues to create challenges as you pursue your higher education goals. Many lab courses that would ideally be offered in-person have moved online. For those that could not, the Sonoma County Health Officer has permitted SRJC to offer some lab courses using social distancing protocols. These protocols do limit the number of students permitted in laboratories as the safety of all students, staff, and instructors at SRJC remains our top priority.
After the shifting of resources, an additional section of each of the following courses will be offered with registration to begin January 12, 2021 based on priority registration groups:
- MICRO 5: General Microbiology (1 new section; 12 additional seats)
- CHEM 3A/3AL: General Chemistry I (1 new lab section; 11 additional seats)
- CHEM 60: General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry (1 new lab section; 10 additional seats)
Additionally, some laboratory spaces have been reconfigured while maintaining safety protocols, resulting in an additional seat to almost all existing sections of the following courses:
- CHEM 3B: General Chemistry II (5 additional seats; lab size increases to 12 seats)
- CHEM 12B: Organic Chemistry II (4 additional seats; lab size increases to 12 seats)
Priority registration changes
In order to open these sections for enrollment, a new priority registration date of January 12, 2021, will take place. You will be able to view your new priority registration date and time in your student portal on Tuesday, January 5.
- Tuesday, January, 12
- Priority 1- 7:00 a.m.
- Priority 2- 8:00 a.m.
- Priority 3- 9:00 a.m.
- Priority 4- 10:00 a.m.
- Priority 5- 11:00 a.m.
- Priority 6- 12:00 p.m.
- Open registration- 1:00 p.m.
The following services will be available to assist you during the registration process:
- The Welcome & Connect Center will be available earlier than normal hours, beginning at 7:00 a.m., to assist students with any technical issues or questions.
- Admissions & Records will be available at 7:00 a.m.
- Counseling will be available at 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday Services will be held Saturday, January 16, 8:30am to 3:00pm.
We also recommend that you consider reaching out to a counselor prior your new priority registration date, to ensure a smooth registration process.
On behalf of the STEM cluster at SRJC, we are here to support you as you continue on your educational journey despite pandemic-related barriers. We look forward to returning to campus one day in the future and wish you the best in the start of a new year and semester.
Dr. Victor Tam
Dean of STEM
# # #
The Spring 2021 Schedule of Courses is now available online!
We are happy to announce that nearly all lab courses that require in-person laboratory instruction will be offered this coming Spring 2021 in a hybrid format.
(Please see each specific course for details).
These courses include:
ANAT 1: General Human Anatomy
ASTRON 12: Astronomy Observational Lab
BIO 2.1: Fundamentals of Biology - Cell & Molecular Biology
BIO 2.2: Fundamentals of Biology - Evolution, Genetics & Zoology
CHEM 3AL: General Chemistry I Lab
CHEM 3B: General Chemistry 2
CHEM 12B: Organic Chemistry 2
CHEM 8: Introduction to Organic Chemistry
CHEM 60: General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry
ELEC 54B: Fundamentals of Electronic Devices
MICRO 5: General Microbiology
and all Surveying courses (SURV 53, 56, 58)